The ongoing pandemic has wreaked havoc on almost every person’s lives inhabiting this earth. The unprecedented turn of events left everyone stuck at home for several months, separating all of us from our daily engagements, be it institutional education or work at the office space, among others.
Thanks to the digital world, most of it shifted online. Many found them sitting hours at end in front of their laptop for work from home requirements, and students too adjusted with the new normal mode of remote learning.
However, the pandemic has affected the education system of the world as well as in India. Though prior to the widespread, many universities in India already had the upgraded facilities of online learning; however, many other colleges and universities in the country’s remote places found it challenging to cope with the “new normal.” These universities endeavoured to include the necessary facilities to help the students in keeping up with their education.
Another issue faced by the system was related to educational strategies’ limited reachability during the pandemic as the students belong from different social statuses or backgrounds. Many of the hostelers had to go back to their town as the pandemic kickstarted who did not have a stable internet connection or any connectivity at all. This created a massive issue in spreading the study materials equally among the students and or landing on a decision to conduct an exam.
Nevertheless, as the new academic year approaches, the universities need to employ some strategies to improve the student experience, be it online or on campus.
The key strategies are as follows:
- Expanding the digital capacity: The universities should expand and enhance the digital capacity as it is essential in the current scenario. The universities need to pay attention to better accessibility of their curriculum through online mode, including admission practices, learning methods, and archival of study materials.
- Better communication: It is essential, especially during the pandemic, to establish better communication between the university and the students. This will further help in understanding the student’s requirement and their problems. However, as the pandemic has isolated most of us, it may take a mental toll on the students. Hence, compassion, along with communication, can strengthen the bond between teachers and students.
- Flexibility: It is one of the key strategies. As we are all going through a change, an outlook of flexibility in teaching can contribute to a better learning experience.
- Introducing relevant courses and curriculum: As the online mode of teaching is different than a classroom setting, the universities can opt for introducing relevant online courses, virtual internships, webinars, or digital projects for the students.
- Student support: This strategy is the need of time. Universities must create an integrated system of academic learning as well as provide personal and technical support. In difficult times, the universities need to extend their hand of support to the student in need.
- These are some strategies that the universities can implement in the upcoming academic year.